Starting at £6.70 per hour
Join us on the Journey...
Looking to develop your career in Engineering? Then our Engineering Apprenticeship scheme might be the path for you. You will work towards a Mechelec (mechanical and electrical mix) level 3 in IMI Bus and Coach Engineering whilst gaining real work experiences in our garages. You will immerse yourselves in National Express' Engineering Department and be supported through your work and studies by the training team and our highly trained, qualified Engineers.
The apprenticeship is a 4 year contract where you will be required to spend the first 3 years studying with the 4th year being a placement year.
The course structure is as follows
- Year 1 – Soft skills and behaviours; Health, safety and good housekeeping; Materials, Fabrication, Tools and measuring devices; Effective working relationships; Construction and Operation of bus and coach systems.
- Year 2 – Engine design and systems; Chassis systems; Transmission systems; Electrical systems.
- Year 3 – Core competencies, trade specific competencies.
- Year 4 – Placement year
Study is weekly block release for up to 12 weeks per academic year, whilst further practical skills will be gained whilst being placed in a working depot with an experienced member of the engineering team. You will be expected to complete assignment work as the course progresses, both in depot and outside of working hours. Passing of the end of year gateway exams is required to move to the next phase/year of the course.
6 monthly depot placements will take place over the 4 year duration (8 placements in total) at depots within the West Midlands area therefore travel will be expected as part of the placements.
What we are looking for;
- Enthusiasm to learn and interested in vehicle mechanics, electrics, and emerging technology
- Have C or above in Maths and English or equivalent such as functional skills level 2, or grade 4 or above.
- To be able to drive by the end of the apprenticeship to meet the PSV driving requirement of the role.
In return, you will receive industry leading apprenticeship pay rates starting at £6.70p/h and increasing yearly based on % of the fully qualified rate and subject to passing end of year exams.
Things to note...
National Express has a very high focus on health and safety and as a result operates a strict Drugs and Alcohol Policy which is applicable to all employees.
Drug and Alcohol testing is completed as part of the assessment process as well as random checks during employment according to the policy.
You may also have experience in the following ...
Engineering, Mechanics, Electrician, Electrics, Vehicles, Maintenance, PCV, Heavy Vehicles, Cars, Motorbikes, Garage, Public Transport, Apprenticeship
If the above sounds like a next step in your career, follow our online application process to express your interest!
Starting at £6.70 per hour