Birmingham Birmingham Upper Thomas Street B6 5PL 52.5008332999 -1.8847289
NEAT Aston - Operations
Join us on the Journey...
National Express Group is a leading public transport operator with bus, coach and rail services in the UK, Continental Europe, North Africa, North America and the Middle East. Passengers made 898 million journeys on our services in 2018.
We have an exciting opportunity for a Vehicle Technician to join National Express Accessible Transport to inspect, diagnose, repair and maintain all mechanical and electrical systems and equipment as necessary to ensure safe and roadworthy vehicles are available and presented to a highest standard to meet scheduled demand. This role will require you to work across several of our depots, situated around the West Midlands therefore travel will be required.
You will hold a minimum level 3 qualification, or equivalent, in light vehicles and have proven extensive experience within a light or commercial vehicle environment, and comfortable working on multiple vehicle types (Ford, Mercedes, VW & Fiat). You will have a full UK driving licence and are able to work autonomously and flexibly within a strong safety environment. You will ideally hold GCSE Grade C, or equivalent, in Maths and English and demonstrate the ability to work unsupervised.
The successful candidate will need to be flexible in your approach to hours of work, providing cover when necessary, which may require shift working between Monday - Friday 0600 - 1800.
What you'll do...
- Carry out planned and unplanned maintenance, both mechanical and electrical on various vehicles types (Ford, Mercedes, VW & Fiat). Diagnose and repair defects identified during vehicle inspection or in-service.
- Complete all necessary documentation/systems in line with Company procedures ensuring that comprehensive and accurate maintenance records are maintained.
- Carry out vehicle inspections, identify defects and diagnose faults using diagnostic and test equipment. This will include preparing vehicles for annual test.
- Demonstrate a ‘can-do’ attitude to all colleagues and carry out all repairs necessary (including rudimentary body repairs) in order to maximise vehicle availability.
- Carry out all work to a high standard of quality ensuring that the safety and roadworthiness of vehicles remains a priority at all times.
- Liaise with the Stores to ensure spare parts availability as required.
- Support service requirements on a daily basis and assess and repair driver identified defects.
- Provide technical advice to the Fleet Engineer on maintenance and servicing matters of mechanical and electrical systems.
- Attend and participate in meetings and training sessions as required, identifying further training needs as appropriate.
- Prioritise safe working practices for self and others at all times.
- Ensure the maintenance, cleanliness and upkeep of staff areas, premises, equipment and tooling, maintaining health and safety awareness and compliance in all aspects of engineering and maintenance activities.
We offer a wide range of benefits such as...
- Free bus travel for you and your partner
- Free coach pass
- Company pension
- Access to NX Health Bus
- Employee Assistance Programme
- Variety of deals and discounts available through NX online portal
Things to note...
National Express has a very high focus on health and safety and as a result operates a strict Drugs and Alcohol Policy which is applicable to all employees.
Drug and Alcohol testing is completed as part of the assessment process as well as random checks during employment acording to the policy.
NEAT Aston - Operations